Chattanooga Hit and Run Accident Lawyer
Getting hurt in any type of car crash is scary. But being struck by a hit-and-run driver can be particularly unsettling. Unlike a typical auto accident, you don’t have the reassurance of knowing that the at-fault driver’s insurance company will pay for your losses.
Fortunately, you’re not out of luck. You can still pursue compensation after a hit-and-run accident in Tennessee. An experienced car accident lawyer can help you in the aftermath of the crash and identify all possible avenues for compensation for you.
Were you hurt by a hit-and-run driver in Chattanooga? Get experience on your side by calling an attorney at Davis Firm, LLC. We’ll do all the heavy legal lifting and demand maximum compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Call or contact us for a free consultation now. We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Is Leaving the Scene of an Accident the Same as a Hit and Run?
In Tennessee, drivers who flee the scene of a crash without stopping to provide aid and identify themselves have committed hit and run. When an accident happens, motorists must:
- Stop their vehicles.
- Check to see if anyone has been injured.
- Exchange insurance and contact information with everyone involved in the crash.
- Wait for law enforcement to arrive.
Drivers who leave the scene of an accident can face stiff criminal and civil penalties, especially if someone is seriously injured or killed.
Hit-and-Run Laws in Tennessee
Under Tennessee law, hit-and-run accident victims are entitled to compensation for the full extent of their damages. This is included but not limited to:
- Past, current, and future medical bills
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Lost enjoyment of life
- Permanent physical damage, including disfigurement and loss of limb
Determining how much your case is worth is the job of a proven hit-and-run accident attorney. A lawyer will examine the facts of the case, the costs you have already incurred, anticipated future costs, and the ultimate impact that the crash has had on your life. Then he or she will come up with a general estimate of the case value. Keep in mind that no lawyer can guarantee results in your case.
What to Do If Someone Leaves the Scene of an Accident
If a driver flees the scene of the accident, you will probably feel shock and anger. Try to remain calm and follow these steps:
- Study the vehicle as it flees the scene. In many cases, hit-and-run victims have a very short period of time to collect information about the other car before it is out of sight. Try to get the vehicle’s license plate number, make, model, and color. Look at any physical characteristics of the driver and note the direction the car was traveling. Be sure to write down everything you noticed.
- Locate witnesses. Get the contact information for any eyewitnesses. They could assist the police in catching the suspect who hit you. In addition, your attorney may need to contact witnesses in the future so they can testify on your behalf. Also check the area for traffic or surveillance cameras that could have recorded the hit and run.
- Take pictures of the accident scene. Get shots from various distances and angles. Be sure to get photos of the damage to your vehicle and your injuries.
- Contact law enforcement. Call the police, tell them you were the victim of a hit-and-run accident, and provide whatever information you collected about the driver’s vehicle. Make sure to get a copy of the police report.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you believe you weren’t injured, you still need to seek care from medical professionals. Your medical treatment helps to link the hit-and-run accident to your injuries — an essential part of any future legal claim.
- Contact a skilled Tennessee hit-and-run attorney. The reliable and compassionate lawyers at Davis Firm, LLC can manage every aspect of your hit-and-run claim, including negotiating a fair settlement that accounts for everything you’ve lost.
What Are My Options After Being a Victim of a Hit-and-Run in Chattanooga?
Victims of a hit-and-run accident can file a claim against the person responsible for the accident if that driver is found. A successful case will depend upon proving that:
- The driver had a duty to drive safely to avoid hurting you.
- The hit-and-run driver breached that duty by hitting you and departing the scene.
- Your injuries were caused by the driver’s negligent actions.
- Your damages can be resolved through a monetary settlement.
All Chattanooga drivers have a duty to keep others safe. Fleeing the scene of an accident is a breach of that duty and a crime. If you can successfully show that the driver was negligent, you may be awarded compensation in your case.
What if the Hit-and-Run Driver Can’t Be Found?
Unfortunately, it’s not always possible to find the responsible driver after a hit and run. Even if you do, you might find that the driver left the scene because he/she had no car insurance. That doesn’t necessarily leave you on the hook for your injuries.
If you purchased uninsured motorist coverage (UM) as part of your auto insurance policy, you can seek compensation for a hit-and-run accident through your own insurer. That means that you will file a claim against your own policy requesting compensation.
Don’t be fooled into thinking you’ll get a fair settlement offer just because you’re working with your own insurance company. Insurers are in the business of saving money. The way they accomplish that goal is by offering lowball settlements to claimants. Working with a lawyer can help prevent you from being shortchanged.
Common injuries that result from hit-and-run accidents include:
- Cuts, scrapes, and bruises
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Spinal cord injury
- Nerve damage
- Neck injuries/whiplash
- Facial injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
You shouldn’t have to pay for injuries caused by someone else’s recklessness. Reach out to a hit-and-run lawyer who will demand full and fair compensation for you.
How Can a Chattanooga Hit-and-Run Lawyer Help?
The experienced Chattanooga hit-and-run attorneys at Davis Firm, LLC can:
- Help locate the driver who hit you
- Listen to all of your concerns
- Assess your situation and determine your legal options
- Prepare a statement for your insurance company
- Collect evidence to support your claim
- Estimate future medical costs related to your accident
- Deal with insurance company adjusters while you focus on your health and recovery
- Keep you updated on the progress of your hit-and-run accident claim
- Negotiate for a settlement that covers all your past, present, and future expenses
- Bring your case to trial and represent you in front of a judge and jury, if necessary
The vast majority of hit-and-run accident claims result in settlements. However, the attorneys at Davis Firm, LLC won’t hesitate to take your case to trial if the insurance company refuses to pay a fair settlement to you.
Call a Hit-and-Run Attorney in Chattanooga Today
At Davis Law Firm, LLC, our priority is providing high-quality legal services to injured people in Chattanooga and throughout Tennessee. Our talented legal team is prepared to fully investigate your Chattanooga hit-and-run accident and fight for justice for you.
Time is of the essence in hit-and-run claims. Your best chance of finding the at-fault driver is in the days after the crash occurred. Let Davis Firm, LLC get started on your case right away. Call or contact us now to arrange your free consultation.