Car Accident Statistics in Tennessee
Car accidents occur every day in Chattanooga and across the state of Tennessee. They happen when you least expect them and can leave you or your passengers suffering from serious and potentially life-threatening injuries. If you were in an auto accident caused by someone else’s recklessness, you can — and should — hold them accountable for their actions.
Tennessee law allows accident victims to pursue financial compensation for their injuries and related losses. But dealing with insurance companies can be difficult and overwhelming for many people struggling to get back to daily life after a crash. Getting advice from an experienced car accident attorney is the quickest and easiest way for you to learn your legal options and decide what your next steps should be.
Reach out to the compassionate attorneys at Davis Firm, LLC. For more than 25 years, our firm has been helping accident victims obtain compensation after suffering in accidents throughout Chattanooga and Hamilton County. We can help you, too.
Contact us to schedule a free consultation today.
The State of the State: Tennessee Car Accident Statistics
Statistics from the Tennessee Department of Homeland Security show that car accidents are responsible for injuring an average of 25,000 people in Hamilton County annually. Unfortunately, that number has continued to rise year by year.
And despite admirable efforts to end traffic fatalities in Tennessee, the reality is that auto accidents are claiming the lives of drivers in record numbers. The latest transportation data shows that traffic deaths are at an all-time high, with more than 5,000 lives lost during a recent five-year period.
Consider these additional numbers:
- Fatal car accidents in Tennessee have increased by roughly 20 percent since 2010.
- Tennessee ranks No. 1 in the nation for distracted driving, according to a recent Value Penguin survey.
- Drivers under the age of 18 are involved in roughly 10 percent of fatal collisions.
- Tennessee ranks fifth in the nation for the number of uninsured drivers, according to the Insurance Research Council.
- Tennessee ranks 20th nationwide for drunk driving deaths, with 3.7 deaths per 100,000 residents.
- Older adults represent more than 20 percent of all fatal crash victims.
Common Causes of Car Crashes in Tennessee
Car accidents occur for many reasons. While some crashes are unavoidable, most are entirely preventable. When someone else’s negligence causes an accident, the trusted lawyers at Davis Firm, LLC stand up for clients and demand maximum compensation from the at-fault party.
The most common causes of car accidents include:
- Reckless driving
- Running red lights and disregarding stop signs
- Aggressive driving (e.g., tailgating, improper passing, failure to yield, etc.)
- Distracted driving (e.g. texting, talking on the cell phone)
- Drowsy driving
- Drunk driving or impaired driving
- Poor weather and road conditions
- Defective auto parts
Many times, more than one factor contributes to a car accident. That’s why it’s very important to contact a car accident attorney as soon as possible after a crash.
A good lawyer can start an immediate investigation into your claim to identify all liable parties.
This is important because car accidents can have a devastating impact on victims and their families and create significant financial hardships very quickly.
Catastrophic Car Crashes in Tennessee
When lawyers talk about catastrophic car accidents, it refers to crashes that result in life-altering injuries. Paralysis caused by spinal cord trauma is just one example of a catastrophic injury.
According to the Insurance Information Institute, certain types of car accidents are more likely to leave victims with serious and potentially fatal injuries. These include:
- Rear-end collisions: These often occur in heavy traffic conditions and as a result of aggressive driving behaviors, such as tailgating.
- Side-impact crashes: Otherwise known as t-bone collisions, these frequently happen in intersections when drivers disregard red lights and stop signs. Speeding increases the severity of these accidents and the potential for fatal injuries.
- Sideswipe collisions: These tend to happen on major highways as a result of improper passing or weaving in and out of lanes.
- Rollover accidents: Often impacting taller vehicles such as SUVs, rollovers occur when drivers go too fast when making turns or navigating curves in the road.
- Head-on collision: These are the most severe and potentially deadly type of car accident. They often happen at highway entrance or exit ramps and are more common at night. Distracted driving and driving under the influence are often the underlying cause of front-end crashes.
Catastrophic injuries can result in lifetime medical costs that easily reach into the millions of dollars. In the immediate wake of an accident, it’s easy to think about current costs without remembering that future needs could be equally or even more expensive. At Davis Firm, LLC, our skilled attorneys take anticipated future expenses into account when placing a value on your car accident claim. That way, your financial security is protected in both the short and long term.
How Can Davis Firm, LLC Help Me?
At Davis Firm, LLC, our Chattanooga car accident attorneys are dedicated to helping car accident victims and their families get the compensation they need to recover in a claim. Steps we take on your behalf include:
- Conducting thorough car accident investigations
- Gathering evidence at the scene
- Talking to witnesses, friends, family members, and others involved
- Obtaining statements from medical providers regarding the severity of your injuries and the prognosis for recovery
- Handling all negotiations with your insurance company
- Maintaining constant communication with you about the progress of your case
If a full and fair settlement cannot be reached with the insurance company, our team of knowledgeable trial lawyers can represent you in court by filing a lawsuit on your behalf. You may be entitled to compensation that includes current and future medical expenses, lost wages, income due to lingering disabilities, and compensation for the pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment of life that you or your family members experience.
Contact Us Today for Help
When car accidents impact you or those you love, the injury attorneys at Davis Firm, LLC will be strong advocates for you and your family. We hold at-fault drivers accountable for their negligence and will fight for you to get the maximum amount of compensation that you are entitled to in your claim. To schedule a consultation, call or contact our Tennessee car accident attorneys today.